Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
Researcher, Energy Conversion & Combustion Group
2012 PhD in Energy Conversion
Université d’Aix-Marseille, France
2008 MSc Engineering Sciences: Mechanical Eng.
Universidad de Chile, Chile
2005 BSc Mechanical Engineering
Universidad de Chile, Chile
The research interests comprise energy conversion, heat and mass transfer in combustion, fluid dynamics, thermal radiation and soot production in flames, normal and inverse diffusion flames in normal and microgravity.
Rodrigo Demarco was born in Santiago de Chile. He obtained his Engineering and MSc degrees in mechanics at the University of Chile in 2008. Later he worked as a project engineer at the Mathematical Modeling in Mining and Metallurgy Lab (LM4) in the Center of Mathematical Modeling (CMM). In 2009 he was awarded with a mobility grant from the ALFA-Scientific Computing Advanced Training (SCAT) program joining the IUSTI in France. This grant allowed him to develop high accuracy spectral models to treat radiative heat transfer from flames. Afterwards he continue this line of research by doing his PhD with the financial support of the Institut de Radioprotection et de Sûreté Nucléaire (IRSN), France. In 2012 Dr. Demarco was awarded by CONICYT with the Integration Program of Advanced Human Capital in the Academy, integrating him as a research fellow at the Departamento de Industrias at the Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (UTFSM), Chile. In 2015 he became Assistant Professor at UTFSM.
(20) Impact of water-vapor addition to oxidizer on the thermal radiation characteristics of non-premixed laminar coflow ethylene flames under oxygen-deficient conditions, Fire Safety Journal 120 (2021), 103032.
Conferences, Lectures, Symposia and Workshops
(20) Improving Broadband Emission-Based Soot Pyrometry Using Convolutional Neural Networks. A. Rodríguez, J. Portilla, J.J. Cruz, F. Escudero, R. Demarco, A. Fuentes, and G. Carvajal. 2021 IEEE International Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (I2MTC), Glasgow,
United Kingdom, (2021).
(19) Radiation impacts of water-vapor addition on non-premixed laminar flames in under-ventilated conditions. F. Cepeda, R. Demarco, F. Escudero, F. Liu and A. Fuentes. 13th International Symposium on Fire Safety Science, Waterloo, Canada (2021).
(18) Assessing spatially-resolved radiant emission from non-intrusive measurements of soot properties. F. Escudero, R. Demarco, A.Fuentes, J.J. Cruz, I. Verdugo, G. Olivares, G. Carvajal and F. Valenzuela. 15th International Conference on Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics and Thermodinamics (HEFAT), Virtual Conference (2021).
(17) Experimental and numerical study of the impact of water-vapor addition to oxidizer on soot temperature of laminar coflow ethylene non-premixed flames. F. Cepeda, A. Jerez, R. Demarco, F. Liu, A. Fuentes. 11th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Tenerife, Spain (2019).
(16) Numerical study of soot production from laminar coflow non-premixed propane flames: effect of the chemical kinetic mechanism. F. Patiño, A. Jerez, J. L. Consalvi and R. Demarco. 1st Franco-AMSUD Energy and Environment Meeting, Marseille France (2019).
(15) Assessment of a modified semi-empirical acetylene/benzene based soot production model. R. Demarco, J. Contreras, A. Fuentes, J. L. Consalvi. 10th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Naples, Italy (2017).
(14) Assessment of a Modified Semi-Empirical Acetylene/Benzene based Soot Production Model, R. Demarco, J. Contreras, A. Fuentes, J.L. Consalvi, 10th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, 2017.
(13) Soot Temperature Measurements in a Oscillating Ethylene-Air Diffusion Flames, F. Cepeda, R. Demarco, F. Nmira, J.L. Consalvi, A. Fuentes, 10th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, 2017.
(12) Numerical study of the oxygen index on soot production and radiation in ethylene inverse diffusion flames, 9th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Rhodes, Greece (2015).
(11) Effects of oxygen index on soot production and temperature in an ethylene inverse diffusion flame, 9th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Rhodes, Greece (2015).
(10) The Oxygen Index on Soot Production in Propane Diffusion Flames, 8th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Çesme, Turkey (2013).
(9) Experimental Study of Soot Production in Candle Flames, 8th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Çesme, Turkey (2013).
(8) Assessment of semi-empirical soot production models in C1-C3 axisymmetric laminar diffusion flames, 8th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Çesme, Turkey (2013).
(7) Modeling radiative heat transfer and soot formation in laminar diffusion flames, 4th Chilean Workshop on Numerical Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, Concepción, Chile (2013).
(6) Influence of radiative property models on soot production in laminar coflow ethylene diffusion flames, Eurotherm Seminar N°95 Computational Thermal Radiation in Participating Media IV, Nancy, France (2012).
(5) Modelling thermal radiation from one-meter diameter methane Pool fires. Eurotherm Seminar N°95 Computational Thermal Radiation in Participating Media IV, Nancy, France (2012).
(4) Modeling Radiative Heat Transfer in Sooting Laminar Coflow Flames. 7th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Cagliari, Italy (2011).
(3) On the Modeling of Radiative Heat Transfer in Laboratory Scale Pool Fires, 7th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Cagliari, Italy (2011).
(2)Characterization of Buoyant Candle Flames, 7th Mediterranean Combustion Symposium, Cagliari, Italy (2011).
(1) Modeling Radiative Heat Transfer in Axisymmetric Configurations with Non-Grey Sooting Media, International Congress Combustion and Fire Dynamics 2010, Santander, Spain.
(8) Numerical simulation of soot kinetics in laminar diffusion flames, 2013-2016, FONDECYT Initiation into research.
(7) Implementación de un modelo tipo ABF para la producción de hollín en una llama de difusión laminar axisimétrica, 2014-2015, UTFSM-DGIP.
(6) Energy Conversion: Application to flame radiation and soot production, 2013-2014, CONICYT Support of International Networking between Research Centres.
(5) Study of the energy emitted by radiation of an inverse diffusion flame: Application to the combustion of biomass, 2012-2014, CONICYT Attraction and Insertion of Advanced Human Capital Program in Academia.
(4) Understanding forest fire propagation through inverse diffusion flames, 2015, CONICYT International Cooperation Programme.
(3) Spontaneous ignition of forest fires by idealized firebrands: An experimental approach for representative vegetation from California, USA and Valparaíso, Chile, 2014-2015, CONICYT – UC Berkeley Chile Seed Funds.
(2) Scientific Computing Advanced Training, 2009, Alfa Programme.
(1) Study of turbulent transport of an air curtains device for fire security systems in tunnels, 2008, FONDECYT.
Other Scholarly Output
(3) Modelling thermal radiation and soot formation in buoyant diffusion flames, PhD Thesis, Université d’Aix-Marseille, 2012.
(2) Development of High Accuracy Spectral Models to Treat Radiative Heat Transfer from Flames, SCAT final report, 2009.
(1) Numerical study of the turbulent transport of impinging air curtains for the confinement of an active scalar, MSc Thesis, Universidad de Chile, 2008 (in Spanish).